The syndicate was founded in 1976 according to a resolution that was
issued by the Minister of Labor Mr.Ghassan Tueini with the help of a
number of veteran associates who worked in what was named Press Design.
The first constitutive organization was formed of the associates: Joseph
Naser, Michel Rihan, Dib Imad, Elie Mensa and Georges Berberi.
In 2003 a number of associates revived the syndicate under the name
Lebanese Press Design Syndicate. Today due to the revolution of the
technology that was introduced to the world of business in the last
century we had to keep up with the era and improve the syndicate. The
nature of the job has changed and branched therefore the name of the
syndicate was modified again in order to keep pace with the new reality
and it became the Lebanese Graphic Design Syndicate and that due to the
resolution issued by the Ministry of Labor in 3 February 2011. This also
opened the doors for the graduates to join the syndicate and offer it
the necessary innovation and development.
The most significant deeds that happened in this period are what follow:
- The internal system of the syndicate was renewed and developed
in conformity with the aspirations of the new generation, the educated,
the intellectuals, and the graduates of universities and technical
schools. The internal system was modified and the president of the
syndicate who remained for 4 years was not granted the right to run for
the same position again unless one whole electoral cycle of 4 years has
passed, pursuant to the principle of the right of each member aspiring
to become the president of the syndicate hence setting a good and
serious example of the syndicate’s work.
- The syndicate was affiliated to ICOGRADA (International Council
of Communication Design) that is based in Canada which made Lebanon the
first and only member among the Arab countries and the Middle East to
join this union.
- The syndicate launched the following social networking websites:
-Facebook page: Lebanese Graphic Design Syndicate.
- The syndicate joined the National Social Security Fund after the
need to assign a number of employees to pursue and keep an eye on the
- The cause of issuing the name of the graphic designer on the
print or flyer and making it a mandatory clause in the new media law is
being pursued and studied recently by the Media Parliamentary Committee
as well as the concerned references, in accordance with the law of
protecting the literary and intellectual property of the individuals
working in this field.
- The Ministry of Media is making an annual contribution for the syndicate until it can afford its own headquarters.
- The syndicate is working with the Ministry of Education in order
to cease granting random degrees for academic and technical schools
that teach graphic arts after the decline in quality of the graduates of
these schools and the many complaints in this regard.
- The attorney of the syndicate was assigned to take the necessary
measurements for the purpose of transforming the syndicate into an
order and presenting a draft law about this affair to the management of
the committee and to the Parliament Justice Committee.
- The syndicate is studying the creation of a synergistic fund for the members.
- The syndicate organizes annual events to honor a number of veteran members who work in the field.
The syndicate is issuing a brochure for university students that
introduces the Lebanese Graphic Design Syndicate and its activities.